Universidad de Chile is a public research university, founded in 1842 and located in the capital city Santiago de Chile. All the areas of knowledge are cultivated and today the university is at the top of the Chilean university system with regard to teaching, research, creation and outreach. The institution has 14 Faculties and 5 Interdisciplinary Institutes with 34k+ undergraduate students, 8k+ graduate students and 20k+ students in professional education courses and programs.
Undergraduate and graduate programs are developed in-campus with some courses designed in an e-learning or b-learning modality. Professional education programs are developed in three modalities: in-campus, blended and full online. The university has a student information system, called u-cursos, created as an in-campus courses support platform, with curricular information including scores, assistance to video-classes and other interactions among students and teachers. Additionally, for online courses an OpenedXbased LMS is used, and the complete data of students and teacher interactions in the platform is recorded.
Description of the postdoc position
The candidate is expected to do research on Technology Enhanced Learning and Learning Analytics for online higher education at the Institute of Education (IE) of the Universidad de Chile, working jointly with the Online Learning Office from the same institution. The postdoctoral fellow should scientifically explore research questions related to the use of digital technologies in the learning teaching process and how those technologies improve engagement, motivation and performance of learners, as well as teachers' experience.
The researcher should work in some of the following priority areas, but not limited to:
● LMS data-based analysis of learning-teaching process and use of different technologies.
● Use of machine learning and/or social network analysis to analyse students behaviour related to performance and achievements of learning results.
● New algorithms to identify collaborative learning.
● Qualitative and quantitative assessment of different kinds of learning objects or strategies for different disciplines.
The candidate is expected to actively collaborate with researchers in this area and other related areas of the IE. Our Research Center is located in the city of Santiago, the capital of Chile.
● A PhD degree in Education, Engineering, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, Psychology, Economics, Neuroscience or a related discipline, obtained not before January 2019.
● Relevant scientific publications.
● Strong teamwork and communication skills.
● Experience with interdisciplinary cooperation is highly desirable.
The candidate must present a brief research proposal (not longer than 3000 words) to be conducted within the existing lines of research of the Area. The proposal must describe the aim of the research, methodology, research plan and its contribution to higher education.
Documents needed for the application:
● Curriculum vitae, including publication list.
● A letter stating reasons for applying (up to 2 pages).
● Two recent reference letters, focusing on the candidate’s academic work and research skills as well as experience in working collaboratively.
Information about the position
● The candidate will be expected to be fully dedicated to research in an active research oriented environment, with no teaching duties.
● Expected duration:
Two years, conditionally to evaluation at the end of the first one. The candidate will be expected to apply for external funding to continue their work at IE. The Chilean National Research and Development Agency (ANID) has a postdoctoral public contest.
● Financial information or Monthly salary:
- 1,924,000 Chilean pesos (before taxes; approx. 2,400 US dollars)
- Flight ticket (round trip) to Santiago, Chile will be covered.
More information about the Institute of Education in http://www.ie.uchile.cl/
Deadline September 30, 2021
Applications by email to: email@example.com